I took last week off from writing because of the lockout/free agency frenzy that was going on. It has been a crazy week, but I'm back on the wagon. I look to get more consistent, especially since we now have some stuff to write about with football officially being back!
The Colts report to camp today, and if it weren't for me having to work, I would probably be there, and I am legitimately considering going tomorrow.
Free Agency thus far
There has been a ton of things that have happened in free agency, and I'm sure more will happen, but there are a few things that have happened so far that affect the Colts.
1. Our signings
The Colts have resigned S Melvin Bullitt, bringing back the much needed secondary depth and a veteran player who has been around the block a time or two. Bullitt, unless something drastic happens, will be entering camp for the first time in his career as the starter. With the killer B's, Bullitt and Bethea, in the secondary I'm content. I'm not sure who the Colts would have had play if they didn't resign Melvin. Bullitt isn't Sanders, but hopefully he can bring some stability and consistency.
The Colts also reuped K Adam Vinatieri. Vinatieri a veteran, kicked the pressure filled, would have been game winner last year against the Jets. That made me love AV even more.
Since Saturday the Colts inked Peyton to a 5 year, $90 million deal. This will keep Peyton in Indy for the rest of his career. Manning offered to take a little less and allow the Colts to sign some of their key free agents. Since that signing much more has fallen into place.
Joseph Addai reuped leaving Manning with what I believe to be his favorite offensive weapon. Addai coming back gives the Colts stability and longevity in the running game, and in pass protection. Look for Addai to be the starter.
The defensive line has gotten bigger with players like Eric Foster and Antonio "Mookie" Johnson resigning. The offensive line as well took advantage of Manning's contract with Ryan Diem, who was originally reported to have been cut, decided to return for a reduced contract. The Colts also brought back Kyle DeVan and Michael Toudouze.
2. Our losses
So far the only casualty to another team is OLB Clint Session, which I have been predicting ever since Kavell Conner stepped in and made an impact in Session's absence, who signed with division rival Jacksonville. Session had this to say about the Colts. He sounds bitter, don't you think?
Rumors are also swirling that the Colts have cut Ryan Diem after he refused to take a pay cut.
3. Patriots/Jets
These are the teams that we always have to care about. The Jets lost out on the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes (and so did Houston) to the Eagles, which I'm very ok with him going to the NFC.
The Patriots traded for Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco. The Patriots think they can fix every bad attitude in the NFL, and we'll have to see. I personally don't think they have much of a shot with these guys, who are much older than Randy Moss and Corey Dillon when they went to New England and shined for a couple of seasons. Again, time will tell.
4. Division
Like previously mentioned Jacksonville picked up Session. They also came to an agreement with former Bills MLB Paul Posluszny. That is a much better acquisition, in my opinion, than Session. I've always been a fan of Posluszny. They also signed Guard/Center Jason Spitz, and former Jets CB Drew Coleman.
Houston didn't sign Asomugha, but did take Jonathan Joseph away from the Bengals to try to sure up their pitiful secondary.
Tennessee cut Vince Young, and came to an agreement with Matt Hasselbeck who will most likely bridge the gap to Jake Locker.
None of these deals scare me. Jacksonville is trying to sure up their defense, which of course is an attempt to get Peyton off the field, and same with Houston, but none of these, in my opinion, make them that much better. Jacksonville especially did not fix anything with their air attack on offense.
5. Whose still out there
There are still a couple of intriguing names out there that I would like to see the Colts go after. The Colts rarely sign free agents from other teams, but I think it would be cool to see them go after some of these guys who are still available.
Former Bears DT Tommie Harris is a guy who already played in the same style of defense and was once a force in the middle.
Another interesting player to target is S Donte Witner. He would provide some veteran help deep, and is a tough minded player that I think the Colts could get for cheap. He would also push Bullitt for his job.
Both names have floated around in the rumor mill, not sure how legitimate any of them are, but it would be cool, no doubt, if the Colts made a push for either of these two guys.
What would you like to see the Colts do in free agency this week? Anything? Are you content right now with our chances?