Enemies: Houston Texans

This is part two of our installment entitled, "Enemies." This brainchild of mine began to develop during my recent visit to Nashville Tennessee.  I noted Titans fans actions, (or the lack thereof) and began to think about our AFC South foes.  The Colts have owned the AFC South of late, only losing out to the Titans twice in the division's short existence.  Last season, however, was probably the closest division race in recent memory, we did end up winning (2008 we choked out of the gate, won our last nine games, but Tennessee started hot and took the division), but it went down to the wire.  Will the AFC South be as tough as it was last year? Or will we run away with it?  Here is how I think Tennessee with fare.

Today we will be taking a look at a team that has beaten Indianapolis twice in 18 tries, the Houston Texans.

Houston is, in my opinion, probably the most likely team to make it to the playoffs from the AFC South, aside from the Colts.  For a couple of reasons.

1. Quarterback
Houston has the most consistent quarterback play of any of the AFC South division foes.  Matt Schaub is the starter, and there is no question about that.  However, in Tennessee, like we talked about yesterday, it goes between the veteran Kerry Collins, or the young gun, Jake Locker from Washington, also you can throw Rusty Smith into the equation.  Then in Jacksonville there are questions between the veteran David Garrard or the new guy Blaine Gabbert out of Mizzou.  Fact of the matter is, Houston has their identity in place, especially at quarterback, which I believe to be the most important position on the football team.

Schaub has, in four seasons as the Texan's starter, 77 touchdown passes and only 46 interceptions. Schaub led the NFL in passing yards in the 2009 campaign coming in right in front of our very own Peyton Manning.

Schaub is a good NFL quarterback, and the best NFL quarterback in the AFC South after Peyton Manning.

2. Running Back
How do you beat the Indianapolis Colts? Keep Peyton Manning off the field. The best way to do that? Pound the rock with the rush. That's exactly the way the Texans built their team, through running back Arian Foster.  Foster led the NFL in rushing last season with 1,616 yards and he found the endzone 16 times. (He likes ones and sixes, in that order).  Foster pounded the Colts on opening week last season with 231 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns.  That performance, might I add, came against the healthiest Colts defense of the entire season.

The rest of the Texans offense is pretty legit as well with a top wideout in Andre Johnson and a top level tight end in Owen Daniels.

3. Defensive Line
That D-line in Houston scares me.  I'm a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan and I loved, I mean absolutely loved, watching JJ Watt tear apart opposing quarterbacks.  However he was drafted by one of our rivals, and Watt will play opposite of Mario Williams.  Both of which will be chasing down Peyton Manning.  Not to mention former first round draft pick, yet some what underachieving Amobi Okoye at DT. This team's defense was BAD last season, but all that came after DeMeco Ryans went down with a season ending injury prior to the Colts and Texans week 8 matchup.  Houston, as previously mentioned, has a very credible offense, and an ever improving defense.  Though some may  not be as high on JJ Watt as I am, he will work his way to be an All-Pro, mark my words.  Watt is one of the hardest working guys I've ever seen. Though he is an enemy, he is worth following on twitter @jjwatt.

Houston will be a good team this season.  I could see them pulling out 8-11 wins and earning a wild card spot.  They have an incredible ability to choke down the stretch, but I'm a believer in Houston, and I personally see them as our biggest threat in the South.

What do you think? Will Houston push the Colts to the edge? Or will they choke down the stretch? Tell me your thoughts!


Blog Archive