Believe in Bullitt

The NFL Draft is now in hindsight (or in our future if you really are thinking that far ahead) and bloggers, analysts, and everyone else who calls themselves an NFL fan must critique each and everyone of their team's picks.  One of the key draft needs that many thought prior to the draft for the Colts was a safety, especially in light of losing Bobzilla.  This means right now the Colts have only one safety under contract, Antoine Bethea. No safety was drafted, so it begs the question, "Who will replace Bob?"

First things first, Bob didn't play a full season in three years.  No one needs to replace him, because he hasn't played.  Secondly, a few feel that if the Colts 6th round draft pick, Chris Rucker out of MSU, can't cut it at corner, he can convert to safety.  Thirdly, I feel like the Colts have a solid player.

Some of the options the Colts have at safety are Jamie Silva, Aaron Francisco, or Melvin Bullitt. Melvin Bullitt (as well as Silva and Francisco), is currently a free agent, but if (and I would argue when) he gets resigned he will step in as a starter.  I've had this conversation with my dad, and both him and I feel as though Bullitt, as a full time starter, has the ability to be an all-pro.  These convictions stirred so strongly inside me that when Sanders bit the dust in the first quarter of the first game last season, I was totally ok with it, because I knew Bullitt would step in.  I felt as though the loss at Jacksonville was when the Colts season took a turn for the worst last year.  Though Scobee got the luckiest 50+ yard field goal ever, Bullitt dislocated his shoulder, and was put on IR.  Many felt Sanders would be back before the season ended, but looking back we know he never did, and of course neither did Bullitt.


The reason I'm a believer in Bullitt is because he has made some of the most clutch plays in recent memory.  Can I take you back to the "4th and 2?"  I also remember an interception that Bullitt made a couple years ago against Pittsburgh to close out the game. I have a video here, skip ahead to the end (3:45), I'm not kidding when I say it is one of my most memorable Colts memories and catches ever.  Bullitt has made huge plays for us in crucial situations.  Doing all of this as 2nd on the depth chart.

He's not Bob Sanders, that has both negative and positive connotations.  The negative connotations are that he is not as much of a game changer as Sanders is and he a much more steady player.  The positive is that he is a much more steady player and therefore doesn't get hurt as often (hoping last season was a fluke).  I think Bullitt has the ability to be a good, Pro-Bowl, caliber player for the Colts for a solid number of seasons, and that is one of the main reasons I feel that the Colts did not directly address the safety position in the draft.

I believe in Bullitt. Do you?


Blog Archive