I apologize for my lack of posting last week. I just graduated last Saturday, and was in the process of moving into a new place. I am semi-settled, and I am actually blogging from my bed in my new house.
Last week I did a post called, "Believe in Bullitt" talking about the productivity and the possibility of Melvin Bullitt becoming the Colts starting safety in place of the oft injured Bob Sanders. Feel free to read, and then comment on whether or not you are a "Bullitt Believer." I've had mixed reviews from Colts fans.
In that same thread I want to ask the same question all this week about "fringe" Colts players. Obviously we're not going to be bringing up guys like Dwight Freeney, Gary Brackett, or Peyton Manning. Today I want to focus specifically on Blair White.
White was forced to step in multiple times last season on behalf of many injured stars. White took the field as a little known player, week 3 against Denver. And he caught a touchdown pass in relief of Pierre Garcon (and Anthony Gonzalez who was also inactive for the week). White became a crucial part of the offense when Austin Collie suffered a myriad of injuries, concussions, and reoccurances.
White, in 13 games last season had 36 receptions, 355 yards, and 5 TD's.
There are a couple of instances where I recall White making dumb mental errors. White had the best Colts secondary play all season on Reggie Wayne taking away a sure touchdown reception at Tennessee, that play sticks out to me a lot. White also dropped a perfect pass from Manning on a 3rd and short roll out play that would have prolonged the drive, and probably taken the Colts to the second round of the playoffs.
Though White had some bone headed plays, I also think he made some pretty spectacular plays. He is pretty sure handed. I recall moments after Collie got carted off the field in Philadelphia, White ran the seam route to perfection and nabbed a pass out of the air from Manning. I chuckled to myself, "It doesn't matter whose in there, Peyton is so good." And that's true, but White ran a great route. I also remember White catching two similar passes for touchdowns in New England, the second one he laid out for in the end zone.
White is working out with Manning in Indy during the lockout. I love his work ethic. I presume he is getting better and gaining chemistry with number 18. I think White will make the roster next season. But he would have to work pretty hard to beat out any of our top four guys (Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Anthony Gonzalez) to gain a good amount of playing time. Given the uncertainty of some of these formerly mentioned reciever's health and contracts status, White may be a valuable piece going forward.
Unless he gets a whole lot better this off-season (which is a definite possibility) I hope the 2010 Blair White is not needed, meaning our guys are all healthy. I love the guy, I just hope we can be more efficient than how we were when he was a starter.
I believe in Blair, but I hope I don't have to.
Tweet
