Safety

This is day two of our NFL Draft prospects series.  The first day we looked at the position of Offensive Tackle.  Obviously the Colts could draft another position from the Offensive Line, but with Charlie Johnson's ability to move inside (and it being his natural position) it makes sense to draft someone to replace him at LT, and move him in.

Safety is a need, but obviously in my assessment it is a back burner issue.  Unless however, something happens Melvin Bullitt, if the Colts don't resign Bullitt a safety is needed ASAP with the departure of Bob Sanders.  If/(and I think) when the Colts resign Bullitt our safety tandem will be Antoine Bethea and Bullitt (the killer B's).  This coming after the cutting of Bob Sanders.  Bullitt has been a more than adequate backup, and Beathea played at a Pro-Bowl caliber level most of the season, keeping that injury ridden secondary (including Bullitt) in check all season, while being forced to play alongside essentially the team's fourth string (Sanders, Bullitt, Silva) saftey, Aaron Francisco.

Here are the top 5 safety prospects and how/if they could fit as a Colt

5. Tyler Sash
School: Iowa Height: 6' Weight 211 lbs Class: Junior

Sash could go as early as late second round (wait you mean like where the Colts are picking in the second round?).  According the CBS Sports he is a solid tackler and closes quickly on the ball in run support.  He has underrated speed and good angles allow him to track down from behind.  At Iowa he was asked to play a lot of two-deep coverage, which bodes well for his transition to the Colts.  He has a quick read and react instinct which means he flies to plug holes.  I could see the Colts possibly grabbing Sash if he was available in the 3rd or 4th round. Sash  may also be an option, to be a project because at safety we will most likely let him take a year or so to get acquainted with the system. Remember the Colts love to draft from Iowa (Sanders, Clark, Angerer).

4. DeAndre McDaniel
School: Clemson Height: 6' Weight: 213 lbs Class: Senior

I really like the sound of this guy.  He seems like a tough nosed football player.  According to CBS Sports he does a good job diagnosing the plays, and also flies up in run support.  He has shown flashes of brilliance being able to shoot the gap and make plays behind the line of scrimmage (That sounds a lot like Bobby).  He is a little suspect in pass coverage (runs a 4.63 40) but is a reliable open field tackler.  He is known as a big hitter, CBSSports says, "Likes to supply the big hit to intimidate his opponent."  I could see him as a Colt, he is a little bit quicker than Sash.  He has a year of experience on Sash as well.  He had a rough childhood, but for the most part has stayed out of trouble, which is a good sign for being on the Colts.

3. Robert Sands
School: West Virginia Height: 6' Weight: 221 lbs Class: Junior

As a junior he does not look incredibly promising as a prospect.  He is tall and wiry, but at the same time he is strong.  He has speed to reach either sideline.  So far Sands is the best in coverage compared to the other two safeties.  He has long arms which allow him to wrap ball carriers up.  He is not the best tackler in space.  He is a slow backpedaler in coverage, and his long legs make it difficult for him to change his direction on a dime.  He is not strong in coverage, which  means he most likely would not fit the Colts system too well, remember we have the coverage safety already (Bethea) we are looking for the hitter to replace Bobzilla.

2. Quinton Carter
School: Oklahoma Heighter: 6'1" Weight: 211 lbs Class: Senior

I like Carter.  I actually saw a mock draft have the Colts select him as their 2nd round pick, which seems very feesable (tackle in round one, and safety in round two).  He is smart and experienced (senior).  He as the speed and play making ability to be an effective fee sable-deep center fielder.  Most importantly he closes tot he ball in a hurry to make bone-jarring hits (CBSSports).  He has good closing speed.  He is always attacking the running play whether it is near the line or far from it, and is willing to chase down ball carriers.  In addition he is a solid tackler.  I could see Carter line up next to Bethea.  I could see Polian sit on this pick, and wait for Carter to fall to us.  He also just "seems" like a Colt by starting his own non-profit organization SOUL (Serving Others with Unity and Leadership).

Rahim Moore
School: UCLA Height: 6' Weight: 202 Class: Junior

Moore is the highest ranked safety in the draft.  If he falls to the Colts it would be interesting to see what we end up doing.  He has great instincts for ball hawking as well as hitting.  His weakness is probably run support, which would be an issue, because I believe that if we draft a safety it will be for someone with run support ability.  Not an incredibly reliable open field tackler.  But he is a team captain and well respected by his teammates.  I like Moore, but I don't know how well he fits into the Colts system.  Luckily I doubt he will be available for us to select,  unless we use a first round selection on him.

Conclusion:
I like Quinton Carter, I think (and hope) we draft a tackle with the first pick.  A tackle who has some skill and experience and could quite possibly start right off the bat.  Then I would like the see the Colts draft a safety.  i don't know if grabbing someone like Moore in round one would be smart, and then expect him to start, which we rarely do anyway.  Bullitt hopefully will return to start for us, and this player can work his way in later in the year or next season.  Again I like Carter, but I could see the Colts go after Sash or McDaniel in later rounds if available.

What do you think? What would you like to see done with the first then second pick?


Blog Archive