This is the fourth and final installment of our series on the Colts draft needs. The reason I say this is an off-season need is due to the fact that the only running back under contract from last season is Donald Brown. I hope (and think) the Colts will bring back Joseph Addai, Dominic Rhodes, and Mike Hart, or all three. Addai proved to be incredibly valuable after being out last season for 8 games in a row. Brown ended up getting buried on the depth chart come the final weeks of the season, this after having a career performance against Jacksonville.I think the problem is not with Brown, but it was more with the offensive line last season. Sure Brown is weaker in pass protection than Addai, but Brown was drafted to being the stretch play back to Indy. [I remember the first drive of the Chargers game when Brown caught at least 3 passes in the flat and gained a number of yards after the catch, proving he is dangerous in the open field.] He simply did not get that chance with the discontinuity upfront with the O-line. I think Brown can be a starter for the Colts in the future.
I still like Addai better, and I think he is the best option for the team considering our offensive line issues and his ability to create something out of nothing. Remember though, Addai is not under contract, therefore running back technically is an issue.
If none of our current backs are resigned then one will need to be added via the draft. Because I don't think this is an incredibly pressing issue I am only going to do the top 3 backs the Colts may be considering.
School: Virginia Tech Height: 5'9" Weight: 212 lbs Class: Sophomore
Williams is an effective runner, yet however he is an effective outside runner as well. He is a high effort runner and rus with a good pad level. He needs to develop is little bit as a pass rusher. I could see this happening if Williams slides to the fourth or fifth round. He would be a good outside runner, but then again that would give us two "Donald Brown-like players." He could add to depth, but may not be an immediate starter (especially if the formerly mentioned backs are resigned at all).
2. Mikel LeShoure
After Mark Ingram of Alabama LeShoure is the number one option among mock draft boards. He is a strong back with a good inside presence, has the ability to push a pile if the line doesn't create a hole for him. Not the most skilled blocker, which does not give him a whole lot of possibility in becoming a Colt (because everyone knows to be a running back in Indy, you must protect the quarterback). I can't see this taking place.
1. Mark Ingram
Ingram is the number one running back on most draft boards. I could really only see this happening if he slid to us late in a round. It would be a really cool chance to have such a great running back on the Colts. He is a solid down hill, between the tackles runner. He has good but not great speed. Can break tackles and has cognizant blocking ability. Ingram is a great talent, but just doesn't seem to fit the Colts system all too well. He would be cool to have simply because he won the Heisman, and is a great player.
Conclusion:
All of this is highly suspect and even less likely. I think we could see one of these picks in the later rounds (unless say Ingram falls in our lap in round one or two). I would suspect the Colts bring back at least Addai or Rhodes. If Addai comes back I'm sure he will start. If Rhodes comes back he is most likely Brown's backup. Hart also provides good depth, when healthy. Last season our RBs went from weak to strong in about a two week span. They simply need to be under contract?
Of all our running backs who do you like most? Addai? Brown? Rhodes? Hart? Someone from the draft?
Tweet