I've read countless articles on why the Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is not to blame for the recent early exit to the post season. I've read countless articles about how we can dis spell the myth the "quarterbacks win games." I've ready countless articles about whether or not Caldwell should have called the time out. I'm ready to be done looking back, I will, and have always gone back to this as the reason for a disappointing end to the 2010 season:Injuries
But this marks my final post about the 2010 season, what went wrong, and how the Colts should have done something different.
2011 season is upon us, and with the conclusion of the Super Bowl it marks the beginning of a new era. I want to talk about the future, and what we can see in the off season.
I'm not Bill Polian, or even Chris Polian. I am, however, a crazed fan who wants to see his team succeed (by winning the Super Bowl) in 2011.
What should we do?//Nick Clason's take on the 2011 off season:
Offensive Line:
The Colts need to address the offensive line. I would love to see the Colts grab a quality, professional caliber, starting left tackle. If that happens the Colts could move current left tackle Charlie Johnson in to guard (his natural position) and solidify the middle of the offensive line. If a left tackle were obtained that would most likely make our interior lineman Pollack/DeVan, Saturday, Johnson.
The Colts could also pick up a guard via free agency (Mankins, Colledge, etc) or the draft. The fact of the matter is that solidifying this O-line and bringing it back to the glory days when the Colts were a force to be reckoned with up front would do a couple of things.
1) Give the runnings backs bigger holes and be able to bring back the stretch play, which is what Donald Brown was drafted for.2) Allow Manning to do deeper drops, having more time, and allowing his receivers to get down field. In the past couple of seasons the offensive line play has prohibited that.
Secondary
I want to see the Colts go after another safety, a play maker like Bob Sanders, to be a difference maker like Polamalu, Woodson, Reed, etc. Having a defensive difference maker can be the entire turn around of a team. Ask the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sanders can be that, but for insurance purposes it would be nice to have someone to step in and fill the shoes when/if he gets injured (again).
Defense as a whole
The common thread you saw in the later rounds of the post season was that all the teams in the championship games (Bears, Packers, Steelers, Jets) were all solid on the defensive side of the ball. Neither Roethlisberger or Rodgers had phenominal championship game stats. Yet both teams came out on top.
Rodgers: 17/30 244yds 0TD 2INT 55.4 rating
Roethilisberger: 10/19 133yds 0TD 2INT 35.5 rating
I say this, not to bash the quarterbacks, but to show that in a playoff stretch quarterbacks are bound to have an off night, or to see the field considerably less times that usual (they will for sure face better defenses). It is at those times that a quarterback's best friend is a reliable defense that can get off the field.I like our front 4. Freeney, Mathis, Moala, Muir/Johnson (Hughes every once and a while next year)
I like our linebackers (Bracket, Angerer, Conner)
I like our secondary/when healthy (Powers, Hayden, Bethea, Sanders/Bullitt)
I think our defense can be dominant with some development, some FA's or possible draft picks, and some consistent health. A pickup or two to make our defense something to notice would help. Doing this would hopefully allow Peyton to have an off game and still survive.
Moving forward, I think solidifying the offensive line will get done. I think Polian(s) like our defense, and will stick with what we have. But I think another year for Moala, Hughes, Angerer, and Conner will help immensely and getting guys healthy in the secondary will not hurt. This team has the talent level to put it together to make a couple nice runs. But I would love to see a defense like either of the teams that we watched last night in Super Bowl XLV trot out on the field for the Colts. I think the pieces are there, I just believe we need to see them fall into place.