Colts Offseason

As the offseason hits, and I'm stuck here watching this awful game of Bears vs. Seahawks, I really just wish that somehow someway we could have covered that kick off return and would have had a shot at the Steelers yesterday.  Either way the season is over and now we move onto the "What can make this team better in 2011?" question.

This may begin to sound like a broken record, but I feel like we can win the Super Bowl next year.


In short, here's why:


Injuries


We had 18 guys on IR, basically 19 since Clint Session never walked back on the field after the MNF game vs. Houston.  Not to mention Addai, Brown, and Hart all missed extensive time, all of which were valuable running backs at the time they were down.  I mean honestly when you get down to it these are the only opening day starters that did not miss time due to injury:


Manning
Wayne
Saturday
Freeney
Mathis
Moala
Bethea


That's 7. Yeah, seven.


I mean just imagine 3 less people were on IR.  Let's say they weren't even big name guys.  Give me Melvin Bullitt, Jerraud Powers, and Anthony Gonzalez.  Bullitt is Sander's backup. Powers is, on the depth chart, our second corner. And Gonzalez, at the beginning of the season was the 4th receiver on the depth chart.  Not even our top flight guys (Because I could ask for Bob Sanders, Kelvin Hayden, and Dallas Clark/Austin Collie).


Imagine Bullitt helping the run stop defense.  The reason the Jets dominated was that we had little to no safety help in run support. Not to mention Bullitt's backup, Fransisco, was also hurt during the game.  Then imagine if that final 3 and 7 pass was not to Blair White but rather former first round pick Anthony Gonzalez.  And finally that last pass to Edwards was being covered by Powers, not Lacey.


We may be talking about a different outcome.


I'm not trying to complain, or make excuses, I mean Green Bay has 14 on IR (yet what I wouldn't give to have Driver and Nelson as my 2 and 3 as oppossed to Garcon and White, but thats another story for another day).  I do all this to say that we were 53 seconds away from Pittsburgh and our hearts got ripped out at the last second.  That is why I like our chances next season.


Free Agents


But there are some key players hitting the market, the obvious one is Peyton Manning.  He is the priority, He will be resigned.  No worries.  Here are the following free agents, in my opinion, from most important to least.


Peyton Manning
Don't worry Colts fan, he will be back.


Joseph Addai
To me this guy is interesting.  His 8 game leave of absence may have proven his worth to skeptical Colts fans more than anything he could have done on the field.  Addai's final game before leaving with his injury was at Washington where he rushed 17 times for 128 yards.  Prior to that Colts fans were fed up with Addai, until they realized that nobody could run behind that line, and Addai's skill was making most of the positive yardage possible.


With the draft of Donald Brown last year, and Mike Hart as a solid looking backup, when healthy, it looked as though the Colts were content to go forward with this running back rotation.  Brown, though Polian is high on him, lost a lot of playing time down the stretch to Addai and Rhodes.  (Interestingly even in the Washington game the carries were split between Addai and Hart not Addai and Brown).  Addai is almost a 6th offensive lineman in passing downs, and Brown's inability to pass protect has made Addai that much more valuable.  I think, especially considering that running backs have such a short life in the NFL and are not incredibly valuable in free agency, we will try to keep Addai.


Charlie Johnson
Johnson has done a decent job at left tackle the past two seasons.  Though Colts fans are fed up with our offensive line, there is no one currently on our roster who could step in at such a critical juncture that could do much better, and if a draft were to bring a tackle, I still don't see him starting.  I see Johnson playing left tackle next season.


Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir
I lump these guys together because they are the big bodies in the middle.  I'm not sure what we would do without these guys.  I know that Fili Moala will be the staple starter going forward.  But he needs someone to play next to him.  Ricardo Matthews got blocked out of plenty plays in the Jets game in the second half.  Mookie Johnson's presence was deeply missed.  I would look for one or both of these guys to return, if nothing else to keep the continuity of our run defense together.


Melvin Bullitt
One problem that our team incurred was not Sanders getting hurt, we're used to that, but it was Bullitt going on season ending IR only a few weeks later.  Bullitt plays almost like an all pro when he plays, and he is also a special teams captain, which as we know is a huge problem with the Colts.  With the uncertainty of Bob Sanders moving forward, Bullitt's ability to replace Sanders, and his ability to play well on special teams, there is almost no question in my mind he will be back.


Adam Vinatieri
I have no idea what we will do with this guy.  He was very valuable for us this past season, but I'm not sure what his price tag would be.  If he were to become a free agent we would need to find a kicker through the draft or free agency.  Who could we find that is more clutch than him?  No one. But there are plenty of cheaper kickers available.  A lot will ride on the new CBA.  It was definitely nice to have a clutch kicker against the Jets as opposed to Mike Vanderchoke.


Clint Session
My opinion on Session is that he won't be back.  He was gone for 9 games. and for the last 4 quarters and one half of the Jets game our run defense looked "fixed."  That was with Conner, not Session.  He may be too expensive to retain, plus giving our history of linebackers is that we usually let them walk.  Retaining Gary Brackett was against the usual procedure of the Colts front office.  Going forward I'm a big fan of Conner, Brackett, and Angerer.


Dominic Rhodes
Polian says he wants to resign Rhodes on a recent radio interview I heard.  Rhodes clearly knows how to pass protect, as well as get the tough yardage up the middle.  My guess is if the price is right we will keep him.  Also what happens with Addai will be telling.  If we keep Addai the chances of keeping Rhodes, though not completely gone, are less.  We liked going with Addai/Rhodes down the stretch.  If we don't sign Addai look for Brown/Rhodes.  If we sign neither look for Brown/Hart.


Mike Hart
During the Monday Night game against Houston Hart looked like the answer, instead of Brown.  But he got hurt.  Hart has never stayed healthy through an entire game.  I love him.  But he is the fourth running back currently, and with Brown for sure returning and if we retain Addai and Rhodes I'm not sure Hart has a place aside from special teams, which isn't a bad spot for him on this team.


Eric Foster
Foster is a restricted free agent.  We will probably probably retain him.  He makes huge plays, and he is also the "Rah-Rah " guy for our defense. 




Tyjuan Hagler

I'm a huge Hagler fan.  But I don't think there is much of a spot for him.  I mean he wouldn't have been on this team this year if we did not incur a ton of injuries,  I would like to keep him around, our front office tends to let guys like this go.  That's my only rational for him.  Depth and special teams could use him.


Aaron Francisco
Francisco, like Hagler, was out of work until we came calling for him after losing Sanders and Bullitt.  He would be nice for depth and special teams.


Keyunta Dawson
Call me crazy, but I think last year's first round pick Jerry Hughes will take Dawson's spot.  I'm not as low on Hughes as a lot of others are.  I like him, defensive lineman take longer to develop, and I'm not sure Dawson will return unless its for depth and special teams.  It all has to go along with how much he will cost.


Jamie Silva
Silva was around for depth and special teams.  If we keep Francisco I would be surprised for us to keep Silva.  Also I believe we will draft a safety this year as well.  I think Silva is gone.  But the Colts have tended to surprise in the past.


Gijon Robinson
With Clark, the emergence of Tamme, Eldridge, and the possible return of Tom Santi there is no chance we keep Robinson around.


Conclusion
Like I said I think the team we have now, completely healthy (or like illustrated earlier, partially healthy), could compete for a Super Bowl now.  So nothing changes next year, especially with young players having another year under their belt, another draft taking place, and Polian having the opportunity to pluck some gems out of the undrafted free agent pool (years past have included Lacey, White, Robinson, and basically our whole special teams).  With all our guys, and a chance to work with a special teams unit from training camp through the whole season, I love our chances next year.


The offensive line could use help, and we will address it.  I firmly believe that with a good solid saftey our defense will make huge strides.  Bob Sanders IS a difference maker, its just a matter of if he can stay healthy or not.  Our defense is built upon gap control, and a safety who can make plays all over the field.  With Sanders, or even Bullitt I'm pretty sure this team has a great chance.  


But hey, I'm an unashamed Colts fan and I believe in our team no matter what.

Blog Archive