I've been on teams in the past, the most notable was my junior and senior year of high school when I played basketball. We were really close, because we spent time together. We were all aiming toward one goal, winning a conference championship.Team members are close when they spend time together, care about each other, and strive together toward one goal. It got me to thinking that this is how I want my friendships to be. But I don't have a goal, an end, or a mission. Until I was led to Matthew 28 where Jesus gives the Great Commission.
Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
As believers we do have a mission, we are to make disciples. But Christianity and church has become simply something we do, and not something that we live. If we truly are to be great, like the Colts, we need to strive toward our goal, come up with an attainable game plan, and execute it! The goal has been set already, we need to enjoy spending time with each other rather than doing it because it is what we're supposed to do.
Make attainable goals, and go make disciples.