iPhone

So December 22 my girlfriend gets an iPhone.  She got it early this year because her current phone plane (Sprint) ran out, so I think to myself, "This is kind of a cheap way to get an early Christmas gift." But to her credit two years ago her family all got phones right before Christmas, and two years later, right before the two year contract ran out, she was the only person still with her original device.  The, however, device did endure some hardship, a crack here or there was suffered when the blackberry became target practice for remote control tossing, but overall it was in pretty good condition.


Being her boyfriend I of course knew it was on the way when her mom and I collaborated and decided what some good gift ideas were for her.  Amanda texted me, "I GOT AND IPHONE!!!!!!" and I was really excited for her.  But I knew that the day was just beginning.


Background story, this summer I did an internship in Connecticut, and I stayed with a host family.  Prior to my ten weeks of bunking in their house I had never met them before in my life.  As I was about to pull away I was handed a going away present, upon opening it I discovered that they had given me an iPad.  It was an incredible gift, and my close friends all know, and continue to use my iPad as the butt of jokes, but at the end of the day I'm content with this gift.  The reason I tell you that is that having an iPad immediately made me more of an expert about her iPhone than she was.


So Amanda goes home to set up her iPhone, and first of all she needs help setting up the email app, so she calls me while I'm at Lowe's picking out a gift for my mom, and she asks me for the server names.  Later on she texts me about setting up her iTunes account.  I discovered that she first needed to download iTunes.  Then we realized that she needed to make an account.  Neither of which was going quickly.  I was doing my best, with my knowledge of Apple mobile devices to help her out, but because I was in Illinois and she was in Ohio, not much could be done.  Conveniently today was the day that Skype decided to take a day off, so I couldn't see any of the things she was talking about, and when I called, it was on the phone that she was trying to work on.  All in all it was a little rough to say the least.


Finally all the passwords and accounts were verified and all the programs were downloaded and she was finally able to download apps.  At the end of the day she ended up with 29 new apps.  The frustration was finally worth it all, I'm sure she would defend that statement, and now she happily enjoys her new iPhone 4.

Blog Archive